October 1, 2010

STAR Test and AR

Children took the STAR test on Friday, September 24. I have sent home their score report in folders today. It is on a white piece of paper. It has a diagram to show where they are at compared to other first grade peers. It also lists their independent reading level. Students should be about a 1.2-1.3 at this time of year. If your child's paper says "PP", this stands for "Pre-primer". This means, on the test, they scored below a first grade level.

This test is something I take into CONSIDERATION when determining books they should be reading. They will now be assigned a certain color to get from the library. Once they have taken and passed at least 6 AR tests, I will re-evaluate whether they need to move up a color. They books they are going to bring home from the library should be more on their level and thus you should try to have your child read them independently.

I have also included (in your child's folder) a yellow paper detailing the AR program. Please let me know if you have questions about this. I have 5th grade volunteers as well as some parents who will be administering the quizzes.

No comments:

Post a Comment