September 2, 2015

i-ready

I'm still fielding a lot of questions about i-ready and I want to make sure I'm addressing every one!  It's a big part of how we assess the kids so I believe it's important to understand what they are doing and how you as a parent can help.

As a reminder please have your child log on i-ready for approximately 15-20 minutes every day.  They should probably rotate between reading and math.  Unfortunately, due to still being a diagnostic window, the math is unavailable for most students.  Stick to reading for THIS WEEK ONLY.

Once all diagnostic testing is done, I will send a report home to let you know how your child scored in this baseline assessment.  Remember, this is not for a grade.  Instead, we want to utilize this program to reach every learner.  Each student will get their own trajectory and specific lessons and practices assigned to them based on how they scored on the initial baseline.

Many students will test into a level that i-ready recognizes as "Kindergarten".  Does this mean your child is below level?  No, it simply means that they need lessons that are labeled as Kindergarten skills according to the i-ready scope and sequence.

What if the lessons are too easy?  My blanket statement is that the computer assessed their knowledge and they are just going to have to work through them because they did not know the information on the diagnostic.  For a few students I will have the capability to skip a lesson or two if I'm 100% certain they need to advance.

I had a parent ask me about tracking their progress.  On your child's home page their is a tab where you can see their progress.  It will be their progress over the course of the year, so you will have to monitor it if you want to really keep up with their weekly lessons.  I will be looking on my end to see that children are completing a minimum of 2 lessons each week in each subject area (a total of 4 lessons).  They will have access to computers first thing in the morning in my room as well as once a week during their center time.

No comments:

Post a Comment